Crisis Counselor Coach
Reports to: Head of Coaching
Location: NYC office (this is not a remote role and we're looking specifically for people who currently live in NYC)
Overview: Coach: noun A person who trains, teaches, inspires, cheerleads, guides and supports another. The title says it all. You’re the leader, responsible for the overall success of all volunteers assigned to your “team.”
Who you are:
- Service Oriented. You love people. You lead with kindness, always giving the benefit of the doubt. You enjoy anticipating, and meeting others' needs, sometimes even before those needs are articulated.
- CTL Enthusiast. You’re passionate about this cause and the Crisis Counselors that make it possible. You really believe in each person as an individual and feel confident that experience (teaching, learning, on and off Platform) leads to loyalty. You like to pop on the platform just to say hello in global chat. You care.
- Supportive Coach. You lift up those around you. You’re encouraging and supportive. You love our Crisis Counselors and are in awe of their volunteer commitment.
- Organized Planner. You’re always three steps ahead, anticipating and making arrangements for what’s coming next. Flexible. You see a problem that’s outside your typical scope of work, and you’re eager to jump in and help. Our tech start-up environment is exciting for you because things change quickly and often. You are patient and cool as a cucumber in times of turmoil and chaos.
What you’ll do:
- Provide structure for how the volunteers assigned to you move through our program; communicate expectations and end goals.
- Actively guide your assigned volunteers from the moment they are onboarded into the training program and remain available to all Crisis Counselors once they have graduated from training throughout their time with CTL.
- Communicate in a thoughtful and supportive way with all Crisis Counselors throughout their lifecycle.
- Your work will support the retention of our volunteers and their longevity with Crisis Text Line. Keeping our Crisis Counselors engaged is key! Some retention tools you’ll be participating in may include giving feedback on conversations, live interactive learning webinars and videos, and phone calls on a regular basis with your Crisis Counselors.
- While we generally operate during regular 9:30-5:30pm business hours, we’re a 24/7 operation. Highest impact times for Crisis Counselors to be on the platform? At night! Coaches will be asked to support at times outside of regular business hours. This just means you’ll adjust your schedule accordingly and get flex hours during the day if you’re working at night!
- Respond in a timely and compassionate manner to all inquiries (we aim for a 24-hour SLA).
- Champion our Crisis Counselors for the whole org. We always fight for the user.
- Relevant experience at a like-minded company in technology, mental health or not for profit.
- Hospitality and Customer Service experience are key! You’ll provide top notch service to our volunteers while always leading with kindness. You ensure every touchpoint with our Crisis Counselors is positive and accommodating, and you go out of your way to brainstorm new and exciting ways to shower our Crisis Counselors with love and appreciation.
- If you’re already a Crisis Counselor, that’s a huge plus! All staff members are required to go through our 30 hour Crisis Counselor training. Once you graduate, you’ll take conversations with texters.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a relevant field.
- 3 weeks vacation per calendar year.
- A rockin’ team. Lots of support and laughter.
- You don’t have to work on your birthday (but we’ll probably bake you cookies if you do).
- Valentine’s Day is also a holiday here...and Halloween is a half day. Plus all those normal holidays.
- Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer.