Crisis Text Line is a non-profit tech startup focused on mental health. We've built our own crisis counseling platform using standard, open web technologies to engage with people in crisis (think: suicide, self-harm, domestic violence, etc). Learn more about the platform here.
Crisis Text Line has experienced impressive organic growth. We’ve processed more than 65 million messages in under 5 years. The team is 80+ full-time people. In the next 18 months, all of those numbers will double. Our goal? Help 1 billion people around the world in the next 12 years.
Every decision we make, every hire, every product is about helping people in pain and doing it with greater speed, accuracy, and quality. We’re looking for a product designer who is excited to partner cross-functionally to support people in crisis and save lives around the world! As a product designer at Crisis Text Line, you will work with product managers, engineers, and data analysts to ideate, design, test, and develop new products and features to solve our biggest organizational challenges. Design is valued at Crisis Text Line; product designers will be involved in the product process from start to finish.
- Proven experience in product design. We’re looking for someone with significant real-world experience in designing and shipping digital products and services as part of a team. You’ve conceived and iterated product features based on data, analytics, and strategy, and have the portfolio to prove it. Applicants should be highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping software such as Invision or Sketch.
- Solid graphic design skills. While UI and UX design will be the bulk of your work at Crisis Text Line, product designers will occasionally assist our communications and business development departments in the creation of visual assets. Experience adhering to an established visual identity is particularly important.
- Superb communication skills. You’ll be expected to advocate for your ideas and defend your decisions, both large and small. You should be able to articulate your thoughts clearly, whether delivering a rehearsed presentation or speaking off-the-cuff.
- Fast-paced. You’re comfortable moving quickly and handling multiple projects at once.
- Current Crisis Counselor / desire to become a Crisis Counselor. This is a requirement of all staff. Learn more about the Crisis Counselor experience here.
- Based in NYC / willing to relocate to NYC. Though work from home days are permitted 4x per month, the product designer will otherwise be expected to work out of our Manhattan office.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s and Valentine’s Day! Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday!
- Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Heavily subsidized health insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance.
- Matching 403(b) retirement plan, fun office environment, passionate team.
- Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer.