Product Manager, User Facing
Crisis Text Line is a non-profit tech startup focused on mental health. We've built our own platform for engaging with people in crisis (think: suicide, self-harm, domestic violence, etc) via SMS, Facebook Messenger, and other messaging applications using standard, open web technologies. Every decision we make, every hire, every product is about helping people in pain and doing it with greater speed, accuracy, and quality.
Crisis Text Line has experienced impressive organic growth. We’ve processed more than 65 million messages in under 5 years. The team is 80+ full-time people. In the next 18 months, all of those numbers will double. Our goal? Help 1 billion people around the world in the next 12 years.
We’re looking for a Product Manager who is excited to partner cross-functionally to support people in crisis and save lives at scale!
We manage a mental-health marketplace of sorts - think of us as the Uber or Lyft of Crisis Counseling, with texters as the passengers and volunteer Crisis Counselors as the drivers. We train Crisis Counselors to help move texters from a moment of crisis to a moment of calm. Our Crisis Counseling Platform is the vehicle that connects them. Behind the scenes, full-time Supervisors practice mission control, overseeing all conversations, while Coaches support our Crisis Counselors by teaching best practice, responding to concerns and supporting the whole Crisis Counseling experience, both on the platform and off.
The product team at Crisis Text Line builds for all of these groups - keeping texters, Crisis Counselors, Supervisors, and Coaches in mind as we solve problems through innovative product solutions. As a Product Manager, you’ll report to the Head of Product and will oversee a portfolio of products and features that contribute to our growth.
What You’ll Do as a Product Manager:
- Own your own product roadmap, from vision to delivery. You will maintain the roadmap and ensure buy-in across the organization.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders identifying opportunities to improve the user experience and grow Crisis Text Line’s service
- Lead a quantitative and qualitative process of discovery to understand the user experience
- Leverage qualitative and quantitative data to develop key insights around user motivations and needs and prioritize new initiatives
- Partner with product design and engineering to launch new products and features following agile methodologies
- Ensure stakeholders are up to date on new and upcoming features and the outcomes of previous launches
- 3+ years of Product Management experience with consumer products
- Proven track record of building and launching successful targeted products that change behavior and move metrics
- Strong consensus and relationship-building skills across all levels of staff, with experience corralling resources across different functions of an organization
- An ability to lead by influencing others, without the need to project formal authority, especially in cross-functional and executive settings
- Thorough understanding of the Agile software development lifecycle and Design Thinking
- Deep empathy for end users and a strong understanding of discovery and testing best practices
- Clearly communicate both to technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative data
- Able to react and adapt to change with a thoughtful and positive attitude
- Can be successful as part of a small team composed of product managers, UX designers, and engineers solving big problems
What You’ll Find Useful:
- Familiarity with JIRA (this is the tool we use to manage our backlog and sprints)
- Experience working with various agile processes, including Scrum and Kanban
- Familiarity with lifecycle development, empathy interviews, user research, and product mapping
- Crisis Counseling experience a plus (Non-Crisis Counselors will be expected to complete training and become an active Crisis Counselor within three months of employment.)
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus work from anywhere Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor day), fully covered health insurance, matching 401K, fun office environment, and passionate team. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer.